Saturday, September 3, 2022

Catching Up


Super busy summer and I haven't kept up with this blog.

First was a big work project that kept me crazy busy in June and most of July.   I was in Europe for three weeks.  Mostly business but I did squeeze in a few days of vacation in Spain.  Barcelona, Sitges and Madrid.  It was super hot in Spain.  I had to stay inside mid-day.   I came back from my excursions soaked in sweat, even though I was just in shorts and a t-shirt.   Spain was great.  Loved the Serrano ham in Barcelona.  I want to go back.

I was supposed to be arriving in Kuala Lumpur this morning.  But I'm not.  Vacation cancelled again due to urgent work trip.  Now it's pushed to December 1st.  There are no flights on Qatar Airways at that time.  FIFA Worldcup is going on in Doha so they are completely booked.   Disappointed that I can't transit through Doha, but I did find flights on Cathay Pacific.  This is it.  I'm not cancelling again.

I haven't really met anyone.  I really feel lonely.  What is a 50 something guy supposed to do?   I usually have good luck with Asian guys, but there are few of them where I now live.  I need a new strategy or different niche.  There has to be a solution here.   I did meet one Indian guy in early July.  He was 40-something, shy, but nice.  We had a good conversation.  I was about to leave for Europe, and he was headed to India to visit family.  I just texted him, but no response yet.  It will be disappointing if he blows me off.

I need somehow to build a small circle of friends here.   In this city where I've lived for three years and feel like I know no one.   When I leave for work at 7 and return home at 7 it's hard to have energy for other things.  Feels like I keep saying the same things....in a do loop I can't get out of.

I need to relax.  Peace.

2 comments:

  1. You're coming to Malaysia, depending on how you decide to view this, during what could be a particularly booming time for local tourism. Given the debacle we faced in 2021 with Covid, I am fairly certain Malaysian tourist hotspots in December 2022 is going to be positively overflowing with people. December is particularly interesting in Malaysia because of the month-long school holidays during which families tend to make a big fuss of going on vacation trips. Wishing you the best trip in December! Also wishing you all the luck finding an intimate group of friends you can connect with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear you're feeling lonely. It is difficult to meet new friends when we are older, but no impossible. I have met new friends attending a hike or an outdoor activity via Meetup. It's not a dating site just a site for like-minded people to meet up. I recommend going to Meetup and type in what you like to do and add 'gay' and there should be meetups.

    Sounds like you had a fun time in Spain.

    Have fun in Malaysia. And don't forget to have a good work/life balance. Cheers, David

    ReplyDelete