Tuesday, February 20, 2024

Hypothetical Six Months

You have six months to live.

Imagine getting this news.   What would be your reaction?  Probably you'd be thinking about what you want to do in your remaining time.  Second, you might be thinking about regrets.   What do you wish you'd done?  This is a thought provoking exercise.

It would be great to not have many regrets.  To have done almost everything you wanted to do.  How do you get to that state?  Start by you having control of your life....not your job or anyone else.  Thinking hard about what you want to do....what experiences?   What places?   Then making those things happen.

If you are able to control your life and do the things on your"bucket list", then you should have gratitude.  Most people in the US can't do that.   They will work beyond their good years or subsist on $1200 a month in social security.   I have gratitude that I am able to control my life.

For most people, and that includes me, the full retirement age of 67 and medicare at 65, is a major driver in our decisions.  You have years of "life" and years of "quality life."   There's a big difference.

2 comments:

  1. Many people just kick the bucket before being able to enjoy their 'good years'. Life is unpredicatable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What if the 6 month time frame is wrong and you either don't live that long or you happen to live longer? Lots of questions. I wouldn't want to be in this situation. If I was I would for sure travel a bit and try to enjoy as much time with my cats as I could, as well as planning for their well being after I passed.

    ReplyDelete