Friday, May 29, 2020

Malaysia

It was end of Winter, 2008.  I had been chatting for weeks with a guy not far from me.  We wanted to meet but our schedules just didn't line up.  Chatting on gay.com, so that tells you how long ago this was.  Finally we met at his apartment.  He was a student in the US for a one year internship.  The meeting turned into sex very quickly.  He was an Asian guy and somewhat difficult to understand.  When we were done and just laying there naked, he held me very tight.  "Can we meet again for dinner or movie or something?" he asked.

This is how the relationship started.  He was my bf for more than six months, and we are still good friends to this day.

He was of Chinese descent, but from Malaysia.

Malaysia?  Certainly I'd heard of the country.  I didn't quite know where it was.  Africa?  No.  I guess someplace in Asia.  I went home and found it on a map.  This began my intrigue with the country of Malaysia.

Spending time with him I learned a lot about Malaysia.  The crazy politics.  The diverse population.  The education programs.  His view of the Malay people.  His home in the state of Johor, which he said was the wealthy part of Malaysia.  His view of Singapore (mini-US except with Asian people).

Finally last year I made the trip to Malaysia.  I took a bus from Singapore for a five hour ride through miles of palm trees to Kuala Lumpur. 

The country was better developed than I thought it would be.  The shopping malls similar to the US.  I stayed not far from Petronas Towers.  Then moved the last day to Bukit Bintang across from the mall.  My new Malaysian friend took me to the airport train when it was time to leave.

KL has more character than Singapore.  Everything is not perfect in KL like it is in Sg.  KL is low cost for me.  The Ritz Carlton for $150 a night?  I stayed in another really nice hotel near Petronas for about $80 per night.  The food was good, and inexpensive.  I could take a grab around the city for $2-3.  I went to the crazy Petaling Market.  The National Mosque.  The National Art Museum.  And just generally walked around the city.  I liked that the country is English speaking and everyone was friendly.

The two guys I met were really nice.  Both Malay and very handsome.  I want to stay friends with them.  One wants to come visit me in the US.  That won't happen under the present conditions, but someday we will meet.

The country was more gay friendly than I thought it would be.  Lot's of guys showing their faces on Grindr.  A gay club near my hotel in Bukit Bintang.  That was surprising to me.  I didn't expect this in a Muslim country.  I had met a guy from Indonesia when I was in Sg.  He described a country that wasn't gay friendly at all.  So the situation in Malaysia was a pleasant surprise.

I want to return.  I want to go to Penang.  Stay on the coast and enjoy what I'm told is a food heaven.  I could easily spend weeks there in a really nice place for not much money.  Malaysia is a hard place to travel to from the US.  Three flights totaling 24 hours over two days.

That won't happen this year.  I need to stay home for now.  But still stay focused on enjoying the present and being thankful for all I have.

2 comments:

  1. good to see you're still hanging in there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you have nice memories of Malaysia. Yes, do go visit Melaka and Penang, they have even more character, and offer more in terms of great food!

    ReplyDelete