Sunday, December 22, 2019

New Friends in Malaysia

I met two new friends in Malaysia.  Izz and Kamal.  Both are great guys and showed me hospitality in Malaysia.

Both are early 30's, Malay and Muslim.  I asked how out they were, or could be.  One told me that his mother knows, and it wasn't such a big deal.  The other said his parents likely would not take it well.  If they told the religious officer at his mosque he could be caned.

When I opened the Scruff app in Malaysia a warning message popped up: "You are in a country where homosexual acts are against the law.  Use caution in sharing your picture or name."  However I noticed that many guys using these on line apps had their face pictures posted.  I asked one of the guys about this message.  He said enforcement of those laws is reserved only for their deputy Prime Minister.  Maybe this is sort of a "don't ask, don't tell" situation in Malaysia.

I installed the subway map and Grab (Uber equivalent) apps on my phone.  I was able to travel around the city like a local.

Next time I go to Malaysia I will visit Penang and maybe Langkawi Island.

No comments:

Post a Comment