Sunday, November 30, 2014

Change

I'm on the precipice of major change in my life.  This change is necessary and I should embrace it, but to be honest, I'm feeling anxious.  New job.  New city.  New house, or most likely an apartment for a while.  A downsizing and a decontenting.

It's hard not to agonize about these decisions.  I'm not presented with three jobs at the same time and get to pick the best one.  I might accept a job that looks good, only to be offered my dream job the next week.  The question swirling in my head: "Is this the right move for me or am I settling?

I know that six months after the change I'll feel more comfortable.  And I know that whatever I decide to do will not fall into place perfectly on its own.  I need to make the change work for me.

So many people go through life with no change.  Same location.  Same job.  For their entire lives.  Inertia, but not necessarily bad.

I'm thinking hard about priorities in my life.  Two that immediately come to mind:  Staying close to my kids and family.  Work-life balance. 



5 comments:

  1. Change is always a difficult thing to process. I've always been a big believer in "listening to my guy". In almost all my major life decisions, that little voice has never steered me wrong. The important thing is for you to be happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Listening to your gut, or your guy? Freudian slip here?

      Delete
  2. If you're not excited to embrace the first offer, whatever it is, I suggest that you take at least 24 hours to make a decision. Sleep on it. Run on it. Let the right answer percolate up from inside you. Whether you accept or not, your well-considered decision will be the right one.

    Also, I don't think you should fear a bad decision. The worst-case scenario is that you end up in a job and in a location that you hate. What's the solution? Another job search. Yes, that would be a pain, but chances are you'd get another raise out of it AND you'd have a better idea of what the right job and location would be. So the worst case is a few months of pain - totally worth it, because you'll end up in an even more satisfying situation after job search #2. Overall, the downsides of regretting a decision are very limited.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Be assured that I will think hard about this decision. I'll probably over analyze it work a week until I drive myself crazy.

      It's very hard to make a move when I am in a very comfortable situation now. I just know that I need to get past my comfort and make the move.

      Finding another job is not easy, and explaining a move after one year or less is tricky. I really want whatever decision I make to be the right one.

      Delete
  3. Don't drive yourself crazy by over analyzing everything, that won't do you any good. I agree with TwoLives, if you take the new position and hate it than start looking for a new job that you feel more passionate about...but if you end up loving the job and the new location you'll thank yourself for taking that leap of faith into the unknown. Best of luck to you Rob!

    ReplyDelete