Monday, September 7, 2026

Speaking About Jobs.....

 


We often use the term "W-2" employee in the U.S.  I think of it as a pejorative.  It basically means you're working for "the man".  For those outside the U.S., the w-2 is an earnings tax statement that you (and the IRS) get in January.  You're someone's employee.

Being someone's employee often sucks.  I know this from experience.

So I look at what else is out there that seems like a better gig.  Something with independence, geographic flexibility, decent compensation, interesting......and you as your own boss.

Internet gigs look interesting to me, but I'm sure they are more challenging than they look.  Restaurant reviews, travel reviews, gay travel reviews, creating short clips, so many different ideas.  I hear so often about people working from Bali with an internet business (influencer or whatever) that pays them $50k per month.  What's that old saying?  If it looks too good to be true.....

But there has to be some truth to the internet story or no one would do it. 

My one foray into the internet - this blog - isn't exactly a resounding success with 37 followers after a decade. 

I keep on having these two OF guys called "Wild Boys" pop up in my TikTok.  Supposedly they are making $100k per month.  Who knows if it's true.  They aren't even that good looking and the occasional short clip I see is terrible.  But $100k per month would be fantastic.  I digress, I bring up this extreme example but this isn't, and has never been, something for me.

I'm thinking about some kind of niche I could find for an online business.  This would fit perfectly with the life I want to live.  No great ideas yet.

I had a brief interview for an interim job last Thursday.  The recruiter said, "Oh, you're perfect for this job.  I need you to talk to my boss.  Are you available on Tuesday?"  Do you think she called me on Friday to schedule something?  This is why everyone hates recruiters.  If she wants me, she will call me.  I won't chase her. I'm so frustrated with this.

If I never get anything it's no big deal.  I'll just feel I failed.  Some gig that allows me to work four hours a day from Bali or Tangier is the dream. 

 

 

 

 

No comments: