Definition:
Taking stock means to pause, review a situation, and think carefully about your options before deciding what to do next.
It's now been about sixteen months since I left my job and decided to retire. I had plans to make it a "semi" retirement. I would work perhaps three months of the year. That hasn't happened and I feel like I've done nothing for the last sixteen months.
I feel like I've done nothing, but that really isn't true. I decided to go back month-by-month and create a high level diary I've what I've done. This was a good idea because I realize it's not so bad. I've had a number of trips. I've been to visit family. I've traveled with my bf. I've taken a course. I've looked for interim work. I've gotten call backs. Nothing came through. I could have looked harder.
The hardest part for me is the eight or ten weeks at home between trips. I am out walking/running, I'm exercising, I'm reading books, I'm taking care of personal business like medical appointments. I am in better shape and stronger. I'm also wasting a lot of time wandering around my house, looking at TikTok and surfing the internet. Some would call the last part "brain rot".
Some people retire and give up their home. They just travel twelve months of the year. That's not for me. Some people relocate to Mexico, Spain or some other country. Also not for me. Travel for six months plus or minus? That could work for me.
I knew a guy who retired from high level job. He was bored and took a job at Starbucks. I really don't want to do that.
I had some relatives who retired to Florida but also kept a small home on the Maine seacoast for the summers. In Florida they mainly watched TV and drank manhattans. Occasional golf and part-time jobs, but a lot of time in front of the tv. They had about fifteen good years before health issues took their toll. This is a scary scenario to me. Watching tv most of the day....omg what a nightmare. This is what I for sure do not want to do.
On the sofa all day = death.
If I don't find any interim job, it's no big deal. I don't "need" to do it. I'm thankful for that. If I can get an interim job, especially during these few years before ss and medicare, it would complete things for me. I'll look for some other options. I need to be a little more creative.
I cancelled my trip to Portugal, Spain, maybe Morocco planned for October/November. Why did you do that when you are complaining about too much time at home? Being completely honest, my bf changed his plans and asked to stay at my place for November. I'd rather cuddle with him here every night than travel by myself. The emotion that drove the decision.
This weekend I'm "taking stock." What's working? What isn't? What changes do I need to make.

No comments:
Post a Comment