Tuesday, November 28, 2023

Back from Thanksgiving

I hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving holiday.   

I was cooking and baking last week.  So many pies and cookies around.  I gained 2 kg.   Seems like a lot, but now need to get back to where I was.

Last week I had a chance to see many family members who I hadn't seen in many years.  My father's siblings are in their 80's or close to it.  My uncle was always in great shape throughout his life.  He is now having some health issues.  He has balance problems and actually fell down a few months ago, cracking a vertebrae.

This really was an eye opener for me.  Exercise and good diet are no guarantee of good health.  Makes me think a lot about "the time I have left".   We had some good conversations.  My uncle asking me why I don't just retire.   I want to work, but I want it to have less stress and better work-life balance.   A few more years.  Work keeps you engaged.

My bf arrived back in Canada.  His work looked at the IP addresses he was working from and now know he was a digital nomad (without permission) for the last nine months.  He's been warned.  We need to figure that out.   And find out how we can spend more time together.

3 comments:

  1. Sorry to learn of your boyfriend's troubles. I hope you can find a solution.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear that you had a good Thanksgiving. Tomorrow isn't promised to any of us, we can all expire at anytime. That's been made abundantly clear to me as I have seen people in my life young and old both pass with and without warning.

    As for your BF's problem you might consider a VPN, I use Express VPN it's a pay service but it encrypts your traffic and makes you look like you are someplace that you are not. However, depending on what restrictions are in place with his employer they may or may not permit the use of a VPN. It's also easy to detect by looking up the source IP and finding that it's a VPN. If his employer discovered he was using a VPN it might cause more trouble but I mention it just in case it might work, use at your own risk. It's a great way to protect yourself if your online in airports, coffee shops, hotels and other public spaces.

    Sounds like your in really great shape and are active so the extra weight should fall off pretty quickly. Nothing wrong with continuing to work as long as that makes YOU happy. We all do need a purpose to get out of bed each morning. I saw a lot of my late spouses co-workers who slaved away for years, retire only to pass away in a few years. I was afraid of the same thing when my late spouse retired but he had hobbies and interests that kept his mind active so he managed to last for a long time, even beating cancer when it didn't look good. In the end being old and getting confused, not taking his medicine is what led to his demise. They say the memory is the first thing to go and I forget what goes next. That's a line my late grandmother would say all the time, she was always trying to make people laugh.

    I hope all works out well for you and your BF. Take care! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is using a VPN that the company provides on his work laptop. They looked at his IP history and knew exactly where he was. Working in China is big no no.

      Delete