Sunday, February 27, 2022

Exit Plan

There are several bloggers I read who are within a year retirement.  I can feel their eagerness to be done with work as I read their posts.

I need an exit plan too.

My work is exhausting.  I'm sick of working nearly 60 hours a week.   I'm sick of not being able to disconnect.   I'm sick of having my vacations cancelled.  I'm sick of some of the people I work with.

I've just had some work events happen that pushed me over the edge.  I often think about quitting.  But that would be stupid.  The best thing for me to do is hang in there.  Another two or three years.  Even if I get fired and collect a severance that is better than quitting.   I need to think rationally.

I'm within a decade of turning 65.  But I'll never make it that long.   I need to check out around age 60.

I'm thinking about a downshift plan.  A less demanding job that would allow for mostly remote work.  I want to be able to work remotely from anywhere.  I would spend at least four months of the year traveling.

Why not just retire at 60?  I'd be bored.   I need something to do.  But I want it to be just the normal eight hours per day.   I don't want to think about it when my eight hours is up.  I don't need to make a huge amount of money, but I do need medical insurance.

I think of family who retired in their early 60's to Arizona and Florida.  They watched tv and drank Manhattans all day.   Occasionally going out for a game of shuffleboard or buffet at the VFW.   I don't want that.

The downshift plan.   That's what I'm calling it.  Now I need to figure out what will I do?  What job could I prepare for that will tick my boxes?


4 comments:

  1. Perhaps a contract or a part-time position?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why not just plan $800/mth for medical insurance n not worry about working a job that you don’t like or tired of. I hate to say this, but If you cant afford medical insurance, you should not retire. One surgery can wipe out $50-100k of your savings. Contract work day usually pays 20-30% more than salary wages so you can afford your own medical.... the other option is to marry a younger guy with a stable n good job so you can get on his medical insurance.... 😀🤣 cheers, David

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am facing the same dilemma. I think we are of the same age range and working towards winding down… need to hang on for another couple of years! Best wishes R!

    ReplyDelete