Sunday, January 20, 2019

Am I Happy?

I'm asking myself this question.

I have a comfortable life.  I'm not wanting for anything.  I have several good friends.  Sometimes I think it's hard to know if I am truly happy.  Many people just exist day to day.  Go to work, come home, make dinner, go to the gym or watch TV, go to sleep.....repeat, repeat, repeat.  I feel like that could often be me. 

What is happiness?  Is it just contentment?  I've read that when your reality is inline with your expectations, then you are on track to be happy.  How do you define happiness?

A person I work with passed away over the holidays.  He was only 56.  Not much older than I am.  Totally unexpected.  It was a sudden heart attack.  He didn't look like a person who was at risk of a heart attack, but I guess you never know.  This rattled me.

If you don't feel happy, then what changes need to happen in your life?


7 comments:

  1. nope, you never do know when you are going to die. so live it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recommend reading "Man's Search for Meaning" By Viktor Frankl. If having material goods and physical needs met defined happiness, white Americans should be the happiest on earth. But that's not the case. We need a purpose that gives our lives meaning.

    Now that your kids are grown, maybe you can find meaning (and happiness) in your life by starting a new business, adopting a dog, learning a new language, etc. Possibilities are endless if you find your current contentment unsatisfying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I've heard of that book, but not sure I've read it. If I did I've forgotten. I'll check it out.

      Delete
  3. Sometimes I can find myself feeling a bit lonely or sad about my current predicament. I hate when I get like that because I know I have so much to be thankful for. I have to remind myself that frequently. I think you pose a good question...what is happiness exactly? I think it is mercurial. On Friday afternoon I was walking my dog, who I love dearly and he started running in-between my legs around and around while he was on the leash. He is 90+ lbs and we ended up getting tangled up in the leash. It took me quite a bit of time to untangle us partially because I was laughing so hard. I guess that is happiness... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Being thankful, and most of us have a lot to be thankful for, is a good way to reframe your perspective.

      Delete
  4. Contentment is what counts. This doesn't mean I'm not happy, I am at times, but mostly I'm content that all my needs are satisfied.

    ReplyDelete
  5. To be honest, I'm not sure. I work at being happy but I think I just appear happy to people. I blogged about my cousin's wife dying before Christmas, she was the same age as me, that left me feeling like a target.

    ReplyDelete