Monday, September 7, 2026

Speaking About Jobs.....

 


We often use the term "W-2" employee in the U.S.  I think of it as a pejorative.  It basically means you're working for "the man".  For those outside the U.S., the w-2 is an earnings tax statement that you (and the IRS) get in January.  You're someone's employee.

Being someone's employee often sucks.  I know this from experience.

So I look at what else is out there that seems like a better gig.  Something with independence, geographic flexibility, decent compensation, interesting......and you as your own boss.

Internet gigs look interesting to me, but I'm sure they are more challenging than they look.  Restaurant reviews, travel reviews, gay travel reviews, creating short clips, so many different ideas.  I hear so often about people working from Bali with an internet business (influencer or whatever) that pays them $50k per month.  What's that old saying?  If it looks too good to be true.....

But there has to be some truth to the internet story or no one would do it. 

My one foray into the internet - this blog - isn't exactly a resounding success with 37 followers after a decade. 

I keep on having these two OF guys called "Wild Boys" pop up in my TikTok.  Supposedly they are making $100k per month.  Who knows if it's true.  They aren't even that good looking and the occasional short clip I see is terrible.  But $100k per month would be fantastic.  I digress, I bring up this extreme example but this isn't, and has never been, something for me.

I'm thinking about some kind of niche I could find for an online business.  This would fit perfectly with the life I want to live.  No great ideas yet.

I had a brief interview for an interim job last Thursday.  The recruiter said, "Oh, you're perfect for this job.  I need you to talk to my boss.  Are you available on Tuesday?"  Do you think she called me on Friday to schedule something?  This is why everyone hates recruiters.  If she wants me, she will call me.  I won't chase her. I'm so frustrated with this.

If I never get anything it's no big deal.  I'll just feel I failed.  Some gig that allows me to work four hours a day from Bali or Tangier is the dream. 

 

 

 

 

9 comments:

dearzachblog said...

Once you are getting paid handsomely via OF, trust me, you wouldn't even want to think about getting a job. Been there done that. I didn't make 100k a month, but more than enough for me to last through the pandemic years and paid off my car loan. I have to stop doing it for safety reason as there was growing numbers of local guys (esp malay) started doing OF and getting reported to police and got arrested for posting NSFW content of themselves.

Anonymous said...

I get a kick out of the American and European influencers in Dubai and other Gulf states, not so safe with the Gulf at war with more wars to come. No doubt many are hustling on the side, not a good idea in any country under sharia law.
CA jock

Jeremy Ryan said...

Working for a living sucks but unless your born with a silver spoon in your mouth, it is something that the majority of us have in common and are forced to do. They say if you love what you do, you will never work a day in your life. Hope that you find something that you enjoy.

peace said...

To me, working with a clarity of purpose helps lots when it comes to navigating choices.

RB said...

Why can't you continue to do it with a mask?

RB said...

How many of us love what we do?

RB said...

Clarity of purpose is a topic worth expanding on.

peace said...

Yup, that’s something that I’ve thought about at length…

dearzachblog said...

you would still get traced down eventually. there was one straight malay guy who sold his sex videos with plenty other malay girls few years ago, he was arrested and charged in court. but he was released on bail later, now seems like his case is still pending investigation or something.