Sunday, March 17, 2024

In an Instant

It's amazing, shocking, scary how fast your life can change.

A former co-worker messaged me yesterday.  He needed to meet me urgently.  I'll explain when we meet.  He said let's go to a place where we can speak very privately.

He hesitated for a few minutes and then blurted it out.  "I've just been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer."

"You're a financial expert and I trust you.  I need your advice."

We walked for two hours discussing medical insurance, life insurance, disability insurance, family medical leave act.   I know these topics well. 

I can't imagine dealing with news like this.  He is 58 years old.  Married with teenage kids.  It's one of the most deadly forms of cancer.  What to do now?

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear this. Give him the best advice that you can. Pray and hope that medical science can keep him alive and perhaps send his cancer into remission. Hopefully, it was caught early. Just be the best friend that you can be. It's tough news to swallow and I can't imagine having to break that news to your family. I remember when I got the call form my spouse when he was diagnosed with colorectal cancer. I was a mess, he was still semi sedated but it just sucked. We both made it through but it aged both of us in the process.

    Life is a gift and we each only get to enjoy it for so long. You just never know in the blink of an eye your life and lives of others that you know can change in an instant. We loose sight of that all too much. It's a lesson that seems to be hammered home to me over and over and over again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post definitely puts things in perspective. Life is too short and each day is a gift.

    ReplyDelete