Sunday, June 2, 2024

The Present

I'm getting so many "self-help" videos popping up on TikTok.   Some of them are actually quite good, and relevant to me right now.

"Forty years from now you will want to trade anything to get the present moments back.   Live in the present, make the most of the present."

This one was so profound for me.   Forty years?  Probably ten or twenty are more accurate.

We can think about things that happened in the past.  What could we have done differently? We can rehash this over and over again thinking about different courses of action we could have taken.   However we can't change the past -- so what's the point of doing this?  We don't have 20/20 hindsight, if we did then for sure we could have handled situations better.  We can't beat ourselves up for not having 20/20 hindsight.  Maybe thinking about it one time makes sense so we can learn from it.  But again, we cannot change the past.

We can think about things we are going to do.  A trip in a few months.  Retiring in a few years.  What will we do in retirement?  This is fine, but we also cannot live in the future, thinking about what we are "going" to do.   A few months ago my bf and I made plans to go to NYC.   It was a fun four day trip, and both of us really enjoyed it.  The future plan became the present in a relatively short time.

What about today?  What am I doing to enjoy today?

Another useful exercise I recently learned.   STOP.  What are am I thinking about right now?  Does it make sense to be thinking about that?  This has helped pull me back into the present.  Being cognizant of where our mind is can keep it from spiraling.

Another post on where my mind is, and trying to find happiness.  Posts about my sex life would probably get more interest, but this is where I am right now.

2 comments:

  1. I don't know about others, and obviously I do not comment much, but I for one appreciate when you post about your journey in finding happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can learn from reflecting on the past but try not to dwell on it. We are each our own worst enemies' and do the best job of beating ourselves up. You can't change what has happened, but you can learn from it and do better. Life is all about moving forward. I know it's easier said than done. Keep going who knows what is around the corner, you might find something really good. At least that's what I keep hoping for meanwhile I watch out for anvil's falling from the sky, just to be safe. Hope that you find the happiness you are looking! Take care.

    ReplyDelete