Thursday, March 23, 2023

Screaming

 


When is screaming in the workplace ever appropriate?

My boss retired last summer and now I have a new one.   The worst transition into a company I've ever seen.  Nearly every meeting is terrible.  Sometimes screaming.

Just because something is done a different way than at his last company doesn't mean it's wrong.   Saying "this is the way I'd like it done in the future" is more effective and better leadership than harshly saying "don't ever show me something like that again."

This leaves me in a conundrum.  Sure, I'd like to say "fuck yourself" and quit.  However I only want to work another eighteen months.  I am highly paid.   I can't just jump to another job that will pay me like this.  Even if I did jump, it's a painful transition to change this type of job.

Three scenarios could play out:

  1.  I tolerate the next eighteen months and leave
  2.  I find another job, perhaps less complicated, that pays similar.   I'm looking.
  3.  I get fired.   Probably collect 3-6 months of severance.  Severance offsets part of the eighteen months I planned to work.  I move on to an easier job and life of travel.

Any of these three scenarios would be fine with me. 

4 comments:

  1. Hope things work out. Maybe the new boss would leave first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been there and done that. The two times I had this experience the boss owned the company so there wasn't anything I could do about it. If your in a large company consider talking with your HR Department. It's a slippery slope but if you have proof the company will be on your side. Yelling is only appropriate if your in boot camp or the military.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go to the HR department.....to complain about he number 2 guy in the company of 7000 people?? Can't do that.

      Delete
  3. I supposed your 3 options are not mutually exclusive. Just keep your options open. Look for a job as you continue with this, and as you do so, find your own peace, and who knows, you might just find a new balance when he settles down. Meanwhile, hang in there. All the best Rob.

    ReplyDelete