Wednesday, October 16, 2013

I'm Neutral


A primary theme of this blog finding happiness.  I don't feel unhappy.  But I don't feel happy either. 

I found a website on happiness.  It was created my Martin Seligman, who is one of the foremost experts on the psychology of happiness.  The site contains a battery of different tests.  One of the tests is the Authentic Happiness Inventory.  This test is supposed to measure our overall happiness on a scale of 1 to 5.  I scored 3.33.  That is the 62nd percentile for all test takers, and 54th percentile for those with my education level.  Middle of the pack.  Perhaps confirms my own impression.....I'm neutral.

If you take this test I would appreciate a comment on your impression.  Do you think it fairly represents your present state of happiness?

I know I don't need a test to determine if I'm happy.  I can determine that for myself.

Research has determined that 50% of our inherent happiness level is inherited.  Yes, it's genetic.  Oh shit, I'm doomed....just kidding.  Some people are just naturally happier than others, and we all know people who are naturally unhappy.  This is called your happiness set point.  We gravitate to this happiness set point.  You're not doomed if you have a low happiness set point, you just have to work harder to influence your level of happiness.  There are twelve intentional happiness activities you can engage in to improve your happiness level.  Something to write about in another post.

Trying to influencing my level of happiness. That is what I'm trying to do.....with mixed success so far.


No comments:

Post a Comment